The news of Indian cricketer Rishabh Pant being a victim of a road accident surprised everyone on Friday morning and such accidents can suddenly happen to anyone. Rishabh somehow got out of the car, after which his car caught fire and narrowly escaped. Do you know that in such situations your smartphone can save your life? Without a smartphone, you do not step out of the house and by changing just one setting in it, you can save yourself and your family in case of road accidents.
In Apple iPhone and select Android smartphones, users get the ‘crash detection’ feature. In case of a sudden accident, this feature sends an alert to the emergency contact without touching the phone and can call for help. However, for this it is necessary that you have enabled this option in the phone and the device is setup. Android and iPhone users can enable this very important feature by going to the settings as mentioned below.
iPhone users can enable such settings
The crash detection feature is automatically enabled by default on supported iPhone and Apple Watch models. To set up information related to emergency contacts, you need to follow the steps given below.
1. If you have a Medical ID and want to inform Emergency Contacts in such situations, you can save the Medical ID and Emergency Contacts by going to the Health App.
2. To share your location with emergency contacts, you must have Location Services turned on for Emergency SOS.
3. After opening the Settings app, you have to go to Privacy & Security and Location Services.
4. Now after going to System Services, it has to be decided that Location Services should be enabled for Emergency Calls & SOS.
Such features can be enabled in Android smartphones
The crash detection feature is currently made a part of the Google Pixel series of Android smartphones only. You can setup the feature by following the steps mentioned below in Pixel 3, 3 XL, Pixel 4, 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a 5G, Pixel 6, 6 Pro and Pixel 6a.
1. After searching the Safety app in Google Pixel phone, it has to be opened.
2. Now tap on the Settings icon showing on the left side of the screen.
3. After going to the Deletction & alerts section, you have to select ‘Car crash detection’.
4. After enabling the toggle visible in front of this feature, you will have to give the necessary permissions and this feature will turn on.
This is how car crash detection feature works
The Car Crash Detection feature detects potential car crashes using the phone’s location, built-in motion sensors (accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.) and microphones. In case of such a crash, the device immediately sends an alert and location to emergency contacts and emergency agencies, so that help can be reached as quickly as possible.