The players were given a hotel quarantine after it was discovered that a person associated with the tournament had contracted the new corona virus.
Melbourne, January 16: The 47 players who arrived in Melbourne for the Australian Open Tennis Tournament in February have been forcibly quarantined for two weeks. The organizers of the competition have taken this decision after three corona positive patients were found in two chartered planes carrying them. This is the first Grand Slam of the year and will start on February 8.
Twenty-four players were quarantined at Hotel Los Angeles after it was discovered that a non-crew member and a person involved in the flight had been infected with the new corona virus. A non-player passenger on the flight from Abu Dhabi was also found positive. As a result, 23 people on the plane have also been quarantined.
According to the organizers, all the three corona positive patients were kept in a health check-up hotel. Players will not be able to leave their rooms until 14 days and a medical examination, organizers said. He also said that he will not be able to practice.
Read this – Corona’s shot also hit IPL, for the first time in 13 seasons …
This decision is going to make a difference to the players in practice. Uruguay’s Pablo Cuevas (World No. 68) shared his feelings on Twitter. ‘Five hours of training is now 15 days of strict quarantine. I will show you the workouts I did in my living room on Instagram, ‘he tweeted.
Australia has decided to allow 15 planes carrying around 1,200 players, officials and other staff into the country for the Australian Open. In addition to Cuevas, Mexican player Santiago Gonzalenz Hade was also on the plane, he said on social media. According to local media reports, Tennyson Sandgren was also on the plane. He was recently infected with the new corona virus. He was then given special permission to come to Australia from Los Angeles last week. Belarus doubles player Victoria Azarenka is also in it.
“We’re in touch with everyone on the plane,” said Craig Tyley, director of the competition. In particular, the players are being interacted with so that they can be provided with the facilities they need. Scotland’s former number one Andy Murray said last week that he was cowardly positive; However, he said that despite his good health, he has not given up hope of playing in the tournament. She withdrew from the competition last week after Madison Keys of the United States tested positive. Australia is slowly starting to lift travel restrictions as the northern state of Queensland is battling infections.